Defense Lawyer in Mankato & St. James
Harassment is an act that can occur at any time anywhere and there are times when individuals are accused of harassment when they may not have actually committed an act that constitutes such. There are instances in which the act of harassment is up to interpretation. The alleged victim may feel as if they are being harassed when, in fact, they are not. Then there are those that accuse someone of harassment out of spite.
If you have been accused of harassing someone, you need a Mankato harassment/restraining order lawyer to help you fight the charges against you. When a person is accused of harassment, the alleged victim can also obtain a restraining order and that means the accused cannot come near their home or their family. The good news is that you can fight it.
There are a number of acts that have been classified as crimes under harassment and they include:
- Indirectly or directly manifesting an intent or purpose to injure a person, property, or the rights of a person by committing an illegal act
- Following, stalking, pursuing, or monitoring a person in any way, including electronic means
- Physical or sexual assault
- Repeatedly intruding on a person or committing unwanted gestures, words, or acts that have an adverse effect on a person or they are intended to have an impact on a person’s security, safety, or privacy, regardless of the relationship between those involved
- Picketing an individual’s residence
- Attending public events after being told that the presence is a harassing one
- Returning to a person’s property without any claim to that property or consent
- Making repeated telephone calls or causing the alleged victim to make telephone calls to the accused, as well as continually making the alleged victim’s telephone ring
- Repeatedly mailing or delivering packages, letters, messages, and other items
- Making false accusations against a peace officer or interfering with that officer’s official duties through such accusations.
When a restraining order is obtained against you, you lose more than just the right to speak or see the person. If you mistakenly violate the restraining order, you could be looking at jail time, loss of the right to own a firearm, and fines. Your Southern Minnesota Harassment/Restraining Orders lawyer will help you defend yourself against the restraining order, which reduces your chances of violating it and also allows you to set the record straight.
Contact A Mankato Harassment/Restraining Orders Lawyer
It is rather easy for anyone to get a restraining order against another for harassment. In fact, it is so easy that there are individuals that use restraining orders for retaliatory reasons, as well as spite. No matter the reason, you have the right to fight the restraining order because violations can come easily and unintentionally, which can result in even more severe penalties. To learn more about how we can help you fight for your rights, call the Mankato office at 507-387-2100, the St. James office at 507-375-3374, or the Westbrook office at 507-274-6501 to schedule your free case evaluation.
Keep In Touch